Oregon Historical Society (OHS) is currently recruiting for a Museum Director. The Museum Director is charged with developing innovative, historically relevant exhibits, educationally entertaining programming, overseeing collection conservation growth and management, shaping education initiatives, and partnering with museum development efforts to advance the mission and vision of OHS. The Museum Director will work closely with the Executive Director and with senior managers to develop strategies to meet the high standards and strategic goals of the OHS. Strategically, the museum is being shaped as a creative commons, engaging multiple and diverse voices in its programs and activities. In the spirit of fostering interdisciplinary collaboration, the Museum Director will oversee the work of curatorial, archival, educational, and exhibitry development and implementation, as well as guest curators. The ideal candidate for this position will bring a contemporary perspective to OHS exhibitions and has achieved excellence in the interpretation and presentation of history through exhibits and education programs.
For consideration, qualified applicants must have the following minimum requirements:
* Master’s degree required in museum studies or cultural studies.
* Minimum of 7-10 years strategic leadership experience in a museum setting generating revenue, growing museum audiences and support, and maintaining strong community relationships.
* Must have previous curatorial experience in a museum.
* Broad depth of knowledge in history, preferably in Oregon history; historical interpretation; object handling according to museum standards; and in developing, implementing and managing exhibits and exhibit development within a non-profit.
* Experience with digitization and using content technology, such as Argus, preferred.
* Valid driver’s license required.
* Ability to pass criminal history check.
* Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others.
OHS offers a comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees including medical, dental, 401K with match, paid vacation and sick leave, company sponsored life and disability insurance, and flexible spending account options.
Please see the job posting and job description found on the OHS employment website for additional details and requirements.
The Oregon Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to seek and employ the best qualified personnel, to provide opportunity for advancement of employees, and to administer our personnel policies in a manner that will not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, age, sex, marital or veteran status, national origin, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, and federal laws.